Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS)
The objective of this project is to reduce length (LOS) of stay in the hospital for newborns diagnoses with Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS). The working group will distribute tools obtained from the Vermont Oxford Network (VON) to all participating hospitals. The tool will be used to collect data about management and LOS of babies with NAS from the participating hospitals, which in turn will be used to determine best practices in the care of patients with NAS in the State of Virginia. Recommendations will then be put forward to standardize care in the State to ensure that the best care is provided to these patients and to minimize LOS.
- Partner with Vermont Oxford Network
- Develop best practices for the care of infants with NAS
- Partner with VDH, VHHA and other state groups to implement
- Reduce hospital length of stay for infants with neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS)
- Develop state-wide best practice for the care of infants with NAS
- Build a state-wide collaborative of delivery hospitals for future work.
Jonathan Swanson, M.D. | Medical Director, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, UVA
Jenny Fox, M.D., MPH | Co-Medical Director, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Chippenham and Johnston-Willis Hospitals
- January 7-11 VON Day Audit